Sunday, November 1, 2009

Soaring High in the Sky


I became aware of Astro Boy from the animated version shown on local TV in the 1980s. It was a fun and simple show back then, complete with an unforgettable yet catchy theme song, but I wasn’t aware of how significant the character was to cartoons and Japanese culture. I only found out about 15 years ago that Astro Boy or Tetsuwan Atom was the model for which all Japanese anime followed. The original Tetsuwan Atom comic (or “manga” in Japanese) was created by legendary manga illustrator Osamu Tezuka in the 1950s. Tezuka’s use of large, expressive eyes became a staple of Japanese animation for decades to come and Tetsuwan Atom has been like Japan’s own Mickey Mouse in terms of popularity, marketability, and appeal to all ages.

I even followed the 2003 anime version of Astro Boy on the Animax network. A bit darker than the 80s version, this was still Astro in his robot fighting glory, and it was great seeing him reimagined for a new generation. For the 2009 feature film version of Astro Boy, I was curious how the character would look in full CGI, and I was also hoping that the plot wouldn’t be too stupid or too kid-oriented to alienate an old fan like myself. Happily, it wasn’t, and there was enough of the classic manga/anime as well as a more than decent plot that I was fully engaged in the film.

Set in the near future, Metro City is a floating metropolis floating above the dump that is all that’s left of Earth. Dr. Tenma (Nicolas Cage), Head of the Ministry of Science, is too busy to make time for his brilliant 10 year-old son, Toby (Freddie Highmore). During a demonstration for Metro City’s President Stone (Donald Sutherland), the Peacekeeper robot accidentally kills Toby. Wracked with guilt, Tenma creates a robot in Toby’s image, embedded with Toby’s memories, and powered by positive blue core energy. After the robot that Tenma also calls Toby begins to show an independent streak, Tenma rejects him. Stone wants Toby’s blue core at all costs, eventually dumping the robot from Metro City to the robot dumping ground on the surface. Can the newly-renamed “Astro” find acceptance with the surface dwellers and evade President Stone’s clutches?

I have to admit that I had pretty low expectations for Astro Boy. After the disaster that was the live-action adaptation of the anime Speed Racer, I kind of expected Astro Boy to be in the same category. I was more than happy to be proven wrong. The plot follows some of the origins from the 1950s manga and anime, while also modernizing it for the 2009 audience. There was still enough elements though (including renaming the Japanese “Tobio” into “Toby”, Astro fighting for robot rights, guns coming out of Astro’s butt, and the presence of Dr. Tenma and Dr. Elefun) still in the film that kept a hardcore anime guy like me glued to the screen. Yes, there were little plot developments such as Astro ending up with a bunch of kids ala-Peter Pan’s Lost Boys and the “robot gladiators” that were different, but those weren’t necessarily bad things.

The CGI is, of course, excellent. It was nice to see characters such as Astro Boy, Dr. Tenma, and Dr. Elefun rendered in 3D and it was also interesting that Bill Nighy made a rare appearance as a good guy here playing Dr. Elefun. Hearing Cage’s distinctive nasal voice coming out of Dr. Tenma’s mouth was a bit distracting, but after a while, I got used to it. I’ve only seen Highmore in live action films with his native British accent and before puberty hit so I wasn’t so distracted with his lower voice and American twang here. Sutherland is at his best when he plays villains, so his President Stone was fun to watch and hear.

Overall, I enjoyed watching this version of Astro Boy. Again, there were just enough old school elements and a decent mix of modern animation and plot updates that kept me interested. I think it’s time the kids of today met my old friend too. I still sing along to that 80s theme song every now and then, “Soaring high in the sky, he may be small, but only in size, Astro Boy! Astro Boy! He is brave and gentle and wise!”

0 comments:

Post a Comment